Posted by: Skye | 2009-03-06

I have always believed that if you have a mental disorder that was brought on by an event/s that happens in your life, it should be able to be solved by therapy alone as it is your perceptions that needs to be changed. If you have a mental disorder due to chemical inbalances in the brain, that you were born with, then it should be able to be solved by the required meds. Now I recently read that child abuse (which I had experienced a lot of) can alter the chemicals in the brain. Is this true? At the moment I am in therapy but don' t know if it' s actually helping, it' s not making things worse but I still don' t seem to be going anywhere. I was wondering if I should go against my belief of being able to sort out everything without meds (the power of the mind should be enough) or should I go for an assesment to see if I need meds. Sometimes I experience anxiety but not very often, and I pretty much don' t feel anything, but I don' t feel depressed. And could this be because of a chemical inbalance in my brain or maybe it' s just my experiences that have caused this?
Any advice would help

Events in one's life obviously can help to create a mental disorder, bu not in every case, and rarely acting alone. In somethin like PTSD external events obviously pla an important role --- but inheritance and other factors can also be important. And remember that the brain works electrochemically, by tiny electrical impulses and tiny amounts of various chemicals bein released and absorbed. Massively complex. But therefore not only do illnesses involve changes in the electrochemistry, but so do knitting, listening to music, or walking the dog.
And the chemicals all interact, too. So a relative lack of one chemical or increase of another, can indeed influence how we feel emotionally and how we think --- and look at how chemicals like street drugs can mess up our moods and thinking.
The power of the mind is important, but I wouldn't adopt a belief that that on its own should be enough to sort out anything and everything --- its an important part of all problems, and an important part of all solutions, but rarely sufficient entirely on its own. And just as your eye can see many things, except for itself ( without the aid of a mirror ), so your brain may be unable, most especially when it is already disordered in some way, to totaly repair itself. It needs assistance.
We know that early experiences of abuse and nelect can be related to later problems ( remarkably, some people do NOT seem to be noticeabl adversely affected by such experiences, which is another mystery needing explanation ). A range of types of problem might arise. Some, like Depression, respond well to some medication, and also to some specific types of psychotherapy, such as Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ).
I don't know what type of therapy you are having. Over the decades of my experience, I have grown increasingly certain that analytically influenced therapies are at their very best an expensive waste of time, and at worst can make some situations worse. That's why I emphasize CBT, because it is practical, not of long duration, and there is a large pile of good research showing that it works and has lasting benefits.
And, in contrast the the wishy-washy nature of some forms of therapy, it clearly assesses the current problems, makes a plan for each of them, and states clear and unambiguous goals to aim for --- so you're not able to drift, and should always know where you are heading and whether progres is being made.
A seccond opinion is often usefl, and a review by a psychiatrist as to whether any recognizable diagnopsis is present which would benefit from medication in addition to realistic therapy, could be helpful.
Dissociation is tricky. In some forms it is normal and ubiquitous ; in other forms it can be unhelpfully encouraged and worsened by some forms of Therapy ( not CBT ). NO medicines help it, and some forms of tranqullizer may add to it in a most unhelpful manner

Posted by: skye | 2009-03-06

I forgot to ask if there are even any meds that can help dissociation.

Reply to skye