Question
Posted by: Acted badly? | 2008/06/09

Advice?

Hi guys I hope you can help me out here 'cause I'm really in a pickle? Ok here goes - I met a guy just over 2 weeks ago and we got along like magnets on all levels, we've had a few fidgets etc and earlier tonight things were going well and were taking it further to home base and I hit a huge problem: I touched his butt and there was something there, not sure what it was, either a pile (I thought that happened to old people only) or an anal wart, whatever but I freaked and had to back off very quickly. I felt really shocked and surprised and yes, this was a biggy turn-off, the first time I've literally felt something like this, Has anyone been in a similar experience? The guy didn't say a word and obviously he must know about it? I was kinda taken aback but also by the fact that he seemed to pretend nothing was wrong and now I feel confused, like I over reacted? Should I have said something or spoken about it? Now I don't know where I stand. I was really falling for him big time but I don't know how to handle this. I am always 100% clean and really look after my body and until that moment I was sure he was similar to me in this regard.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Acted Badly, welcome here and thanks for posting.

Many of us think that, unlike penises, all anuses look the same. In the same way that many of us assume that all women's private parts look the same. Not true. Anuses vary in their external presentation as well as internally - for example, the angle of the rectum varies as does the tone of the sphincter muscles. Sometimes we need to anticipate 'surprises' and take them in our stride.

Generally warts feel harder than piles (heamorrhoids) - warts are more inclined to have a crusty, hard feeling to them and are generally likely to be smaller than piles. A pile is simply an engorged blood vessel and is likely to feel smooth, and may look discoloured - possibly bluish - while a wart is more likely to be skin-toned. Neither sounds fabulous but, in terms of safer sex, remember that warts are caused by a virus and thus present a risk of infection (genital warts but also warts around you mouth if you're into rimming). If irritated (for example through anal sex) warts can cause bleeding. Piles, on the other hand, can pose a significant risk of HIV transmission in that they quite literally have the potential to release blood. A burst pile also presents a risk of HIV transmission for the receptive partner by presenting an easy point for the HI virus to enter his bloodstream during anal sex.

You did not over react and, in fact, you should have asked him what you were touching as you explored him there. Either way - warts or piles - he needs to assume responsibility for his own anal health. If he thinks he may have warts he needs to consult his doctor; if he has piles he can try over-the-counter products called Anusol or Prep H (and change his diet) or his doctor could prescribe Scheriproct.

As gay men we're quite open to discussing penises and we have a rich vocabulary for this, but sadly we're very uncomfortable about talk related to anal health. Next time you guys are intimate you should be OK to raise the issue and discuss it with him... and suggest that he seek medical attention.

3
Posted by: maccy | 2008/11/26

Want ot know more about the disies

Reply to maccy

Yuck!

Posted by: --- | 2008/06/09

Piles are gross but not contagious, but warts ARE contagious. I'm not sure what the difference between them is tho. Maybe the expert can explain.

Reply to ---