Question
Posted by: me | 2010/04/06

Adult thumb sucking

I''m 34 yrs old successful in most aspects of my life but I have not been able to stop my thumb sucking habit which I started as a child, over the years its damaged my teeth &  lips and i''m desperate to stop, how can I stop, some people have suggested hypnosis, please advice

Recommending hypnosis is recommending magic - it is NEVER EVER the sole most useful treatment in ANY condition - occasionally it can be a helpful PART of a combination of treatments, for particular people - and ONLY when recommended and given by a fully qualified and registered psychiarist or mpsychologist after a proper diagnosis and treatment plan have been made.
Now, thumb sucking in adults is obviously uncommon, but as you say it is a Habit, and used as a way of soothing and calming oneself. What good research would suggest is likely to be the most effective method of treatment would be CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, by far the most effective way of giving up a bad habit like this, and of learning more useful and effective ways of calming and soothing yourself when you need to do so, as well as revising your situation so as to need any such method less and less.

1