Posted by: Lee | 2009-01-28

Adult-onset asthma

Hi. I had bronchial-pneumonia about 6 months ago. I stayed in bed for a week, but probably went back to gym sooner than I should have. I did go on a 3-day course of antibiotics. Once I had recovered, I developed asthma (I also had it as an adolescent but outgrew it). I am using a pump (Asthavent) before I exercise (which is when I wheeze the most). I also experience it at night when I' m lying in bed or when I wake up. I live in Hout Bay in Cape Town, which apparently has a very high pollen count and is surrounded by Milkwood trees, so I' m not sure if this is a factor. My dr also said it could be seasonal, and as long as I don' t use my pump more than 4 times a day (I don' t), it should be fine. But I am concerned that perhaps I didn' t recover fully from the bronchial-pneumonia, since I didn' t have any problems with asthma before that (I am 28 years old). I' ve been exercising regularly for about 5 years. I never experienced it at night or after sleeping before either. My dr says it' s just adult-onset asthma but I hate to think I will have to live with this forever... I wouldn' t be as concerned if it hadn' t been caused by the bronchial-pneumonia. Obviously I must have sensitive lungs, because I did have asthma when I was younger. Thanks.

Hallo Lee
I want to suggest that you see a pulmonologist - to do a lung function test to determine if it really is asthma, and to determine how bad it really is. You may need to take an inhalation steroid for a few months to get the inflammation to settle down. I would also like to see what your antibody (IGE) count is, you may need to take antihistamine like Deselex preventatively for a few weeks.