Question
Posted by: Kim | 2011/06/28

Adult dogs Messing in House, Nightly!

I have a Lab Cross Male +-3yrs  Bassett Female +-4yrs  Dashund Male +-10yrs.

During the day and evening, my homes doors are always open for the dogs to come and go as they please. We only close them when we go to bed and just before, we take all 3 dogs out in the garden.

They all do their wee''''s like clockwork but then true as bob, just about every morning, we will find Wee and generally Poo in the house.

We are pretty certain that its the Dashhund and Bassett (by the size &  cuz we had caught them in the act a few times). The Lab-cross is our newest addition (had him for 1 year) and he has never once messed in the house.

They all get fed at 9am &  5pm every day.

Please advise what can be done or what we are doing wrong.

Thank you!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kim, firstly make sure you clean any areas soiled with a mixture of 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water or a urine product from the vet. Household products often contain ammonia etc which actually makes the place smell even more like a public loo! What i would also do is put down some pure Citronella oil on areas previously soiled. Dogs, on average dont like this smell and it may help to discourange repeat behaviour.
I would honestly suggest you invest in crates and crate train the dogs. There is a article on this on the friendsofthedog site which will give you more info. Dogs are naturally den animals and i find this the easiest way of stopping the behaviour as very few dogs will eliminate where they sleep.
What you could also try if you dont want to go the crate route, is make supper time later, at say 7p.m. The extra 2 hours may help in them waiting that bit longer. Also go back to basic toilet training and reward them with a treat when they do eliminate outside - a dog always works for what is rewarding and this will help to reinforce the behaviour of eliminating outside. Good luck and do let me know how you go. thks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/06/28

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert