Posted by: BMJ | 2012-06-19

Adult dog or pup

We have a 6y old cross breed female. At the time of adoption (as a 8w old pup) we were told she has dashund/cross. She us much to tall for a daschund, she looks more like a very small whippet but not as skinny. Who knows. She has a lovely soft and friendly nature and is the perfect family pet. We would really like to adopt another dog from animal welfare. We would like to stay with a small to medium dog. The dog will be in the house with us and the other dog.

My question is this - would you suggest a mature dog or a pup? I was very drawn to a year old female wiry coat terrier/cross. Our other option is a cross jack russel puppy of questionally parentage. Could you give us some advise please.

So far, our current dog is very sociable in public settings with other dogs, but when we have had visitors bring dogs, she is very aloof and will snap if they try and approach her - yet she is not the agressor in any of the insidences.

It is difficult to say what you should choose. The most important thing is that you introduce the dog's prior to adoption and see what there interaction is like - do this on multiple occassions and you should have a good idea as to what is the best option.

Please ensure that your present dog still gets plenty of attention if you do decide to adopt as this may affect the behaviour and interaction between the dogs.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Posted by: Adi | 2012-07-21

A few years ago, Premium Edge had a " weight loss"  as well " weight management"  kilbbe.Look at bags for caloric values. You can also lower the amount you feed, and add some green beans, a spoon of pumpkin to make the dog feel more " full" 

Reply to Adi
Posted by: Joan | 2012-06-21

Advice of Tasha is great. Whatever you get, especially if it is a slighly older dog, maybe introduce them in the park, and walk home into your property together. This has worked on numerous occassions with me. Had a German Shephard years ago, rescued, needed a firend, and addopted a 2 year old Rottweiler rescue. Introduced them in a park for half an hour, walked home 2 km with them, through the gate, let them off the lead - and they had 8 happy years together.So neutral territory often helps. Have fun.

Reply to Joan
Posted by: Tasha | 2012-06-19

Would suggest you introduce a pup into your house. Your 6 year old dog would adapt easier to a puppy than an adult dog.
You seem to have already decided to adopt a ''small'' dog so I would suggest you go to the adoption centre and believe me when I say " the doggie will choose you- it will! Generally a dog lover will instinctly know which doggie is for them.
As your current dog is female I recommend that you get a male but have him neutered if he isnt already.

As for your current doggie being snappy when other dogs visit - this is quite normal as it his HER territory and God forbid that any other dog invades it. Having said that if you intoduce a young pup she will accept it if all the family encourage and love both doggies equally.

Good luck with your new 4-legged companions I hope they bring you all much joy.

Reply to Tasha