Question
Posted by: Donny | 2011/05/03

AD''s and weight gain

I just want to clarify something about AD''s(specifically Remeron) and potential weight gain as side effect of these meds. My primary question is does the weight gain happen because the meds alter the body metabolism or because it causes cravings? Furthermore if the former is true, would taking a dietary supplement such as Phredra cut help to balance out the metabolism?

It may be due to both, but I haven't seen enough good research to really clarify the issue for me. The effect seems often to be idiosyncratic, in that it may be a really worrisome effect in one person, and not a problem for someone else.
Dietary supplements like Phaedra are of no value to any human being at any time, so far as I know, and in combination with various drugs, including ADs, could have serious problems. Unfortunately while our unwise system allows such substances to be sold as "supplements" even though they may contain pharmacologically active ingredients, free from the requirement to produce great volumes of research to show they are effective AND safe, such questions are not properly answered, and unnecessary risks may be run

1