Question
Posted by: Newbie | 2008/10/13

ADs

Hi CS
I have recently started seeing a psychologists to help me deal with a really bad time that I have been going through. After a couple of sessions she suggested that I need to go on anti-depressants. I have made the appointment to see my GP tomorrow morning, but I have no idea what to expect and I' m a little wary. If I just say to him my shrink thinks I need ADs will he just go ahead and prescribe something or will he need to do some sort of examination to decide whether to put me on one and/or which one to put me on? Should I ask for something specific? Are there any I should avoid?
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks very much

I would expect him to take the psychologist's opinion seriously, but iof possible he should also ask you further questions and assess you himself, so as to best choose what AD would be likely to suit you best. No point in you asking for something specific--- that's his job to advise you. And a Hope* says, maybe referral to a psychiatrist should also be considered.

1
Posted by: Hope* | 2008/10/13

Dear Newbie, it would really better id your GP could refer you to a psychiatrist. My GP refuses to perscribe AD' s and would rather refer. Take care

Reply to Hope*