Question
Posted by: Janet van de Vijver | 2010-07-29

ADRENELECTOMY - 5 YEARS AGO

Hi there,

I had an Adrenelectomy 5 years ago, whereby I had my Adrenal glands removed because I was suffering from Cushings Syndrome. Unfortunately the operation went horribly wrong and the Surgeon ended up removing my Spleen as well. (briefly) I ended up being hospitalized for 3 months as when he removed my adrenal glands he cut my pancreas, so it leaked disgusting fluid into my body and I had to have a bag on the outside of my body for 3 months. This fluid then leaked again and caused me to be operated on again and then I got septysemia and my Spleen had to be removed.

So, my question to you is, with no Spleen am I meant to be eating any differently to what I consider a ‘ normal’  eating plan? I am 46 years of age and of average height and build, but somehow in the back of my mind I keep on thinking that perhaps I should eat more of certain Fruit or Veg and maybe more Meat?

With no Spleen would I need to drink specific Vitamin Pills etc. as I think that my immune system isn’ t functioning very well.

Sorry for the odd questions, but this has been bugging me for sometime now, I just am at home with Flu and decided that perhaps there are lots or some things that I’ m not doing correctly and could really do with some advice in this regard.

Many thanks,

Janet

Hallo Janet
Your spleen is important in removing old blood cells from the system, recycles iron, provides the body with antbodies and makes white blood cells. Removing the spleen leads to changes in white blood cells and platelet counts, reduced responsiveness to some vaccines, increased susceptibility to infection by bacteria and protozoa. You don't have to eat a special diet, but do ensure that you eat food containing iron (green leafy vegetables and low fat red meat) Vaccinate yourself yearly against pneumonia and avoid visiting malaria areas.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-07-29

Hallo Janet