Question
Posted by: Annie | 2009-03-16

Adrenal glands

What is the purpose of the Adrenal Glands (just above the kidneys)?Do they work in conjunction with the kidneys, and what are the sypmtoms of '  malfunction'  ? I have been on Cortisone for many years for treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis, and recently requested a reduction in my medication because of the side effects, and was warned by my doctor that this would result in complications, and withdrawal symptoms, as my Adrenal glands tried to start working for themselves without the inhibiting effect of the medication.

Dear Annie
The Adrenal glands make corticosteroids, cortisol and adrenaline. These chemicals are important for kidney function, the sex hormones, and flight and fight reaction. If you want to reduce your cortisone dose just do it very slowly to give your adrenal glands the time to gradually take over the function again.