Question
Posted by: Annie | 2009-03-06

Adrenal glands

What is the purpose of the Adrenal Glands (just above the kidneys)?Do they work in conjunction with the kidneys, and what are the sypmtoms of ' malfunction' ? I have been on Cortisone for many years for treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis, and recently requested a reduction in my medication because of the side effects, and was warned by my doctor that this would result in complications, and withdrawal symptoms, as my Adrenal glands tried to start working for themselves without the inhibiting effect of the medication.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Annie

The adrenal glands produce many different hormones including adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol. Cortisol is you bodies own, natural cortisone, which it produces in response to any inflammatory condition in the body.

The fact that you have been taking oral cortisone means that the adreanl glands haven't had to produce their own, which they will now have to start doing, if you reduce the oral medication and this is what you doctor is referring to.

The adrenal glands are also stimulated to produce their hormones during times of stress and if the stress persists for too long the glands can become 'exhausted', resultling in them not being able to produce enough of the hormones to assist the body in the management of the stress. The rsult is ususally a feeling of persistant fatigue.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

2
Posted by: Admin | 2009-03-16

Annie, Thank you for writing to Health24 - we have posted your question on CyberDoc' s forum where you should receive an immediate answer.

Reply to Admin
Posted by: Annie | 2009-03-11

I posted this message here last week hoping to get a reply from a docter, as I thought this was what this site was for. If I am mistaken, could you please redirect me to a site that has this facility, or perhaps the right expert. I did not realy want it to be posted on a site for the comments of the general public. Thanks

Reply to Annie