Posted by: Y | 2009-01-23

Adrenal gland pain?

Dear Cyberdoc,

This morning while driving to work, I experienced very bad pain in my lower back. I suspect it was my adrenal glands because of what happened just before this episode. A " padvark"  tried to run me off the road, and although I always make an effort not to react visibly to drivers who show clear signs of instability (or " road rage"  as it is usually called, as if this label will make this kind of behavious accpetable) I do internally get angry and irritated. Right after the episode I experienced very bad pain in my lower back - it was so sore that for a couple of minutes I could only barely force myself to breathe. Similar episodes have happened to me before - I' d say about 5 times in the past year or two (living in Gauteng, one has to deal with unstable drivers on the road regularly), but it has never been as bad as it was this morning. Is it my adrenal glands working overtime for a few minutes as I expect? And is it natural to experience such bad pain under such circumstances? I cannot remember that this has happened to me before the last year or two (I' m now in my thirties). Is there anything I can do to prevent similar episodes in the future? Besides giving up my city job and going to live in the country that is?

Thank you for visiting

I am not aware that the adrenal gland can cause pain by itself. In cases of hyperactivity of the adrenal gland, you can experience chest pain, as well as upper abdomen pain. I do however, suggest that you consult a doctor for blood tests, to assess the function of your adrenal gland.