Question
Posted by: SJN | 2012/05/29

Adrenal Fatigue

good morning,

can you please tell me what you may and may not eat with adrenal fatigue

Dear SJN
I am not sure what you mean by 'adrenal fatigue'? Do you suffer from Addison's disease or some other adrenal illness or have you been exposed to excessive doses of cortisone lately? Or have you had too much stress? If you have very high cortisol levels, then this is a very detrimental situation and can result in so-called adrenal fatigue which influences every aspect of your metabolism including the function of the thyroid gland. From a dietary point of view, athletes keep their cortisol levels under control by using carbohydrates (e.g. energy drinks, etc). You may find that if you use low-glycaemic index (GI) carbs throughout the day (Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI) plus a complete vitamin and mineral supplement (Centrum or Supradyn Forte), that you can lower very high cortisol levels. If you find it tricky to adjust to a low-fat, low-GI diet please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
I trust that you being given support by your medical dr and/or psychologist?

1

Dear SJN