Question
Posted by: Chris | 2011/10/05

Adrenal fatigue

Hi.

I have a rather serious case of adrenal fatigue, and have been sent around the block for all kinds of diets and remedies. I''ve gone for the tests, etc but no one has given me the correct direction or meds that should be taken to alleviate the problem. I constantly suffer from intense anxiety and have all the IR and high cortisol symptoms, followed by the rest. I have put a halt to training and excessive dieting and have taken up yoga, in the aid to assist in relaxing and recovering. Sadly there is not much I can do about my jobs stresses. What medication could you advise for adrenal fatigue. I would like to perform like a normal human being without worrying that my heart might explode.

Best regards,
Chris

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Chris

You seem to be on the right track - Lifestyle modification is one of the first steps.

Although Yoga is a good choice, it may not be enough. If you find that your stress is difficult to control, your doctor can prescribe something to keep anxiety at bay.

A diet that would be conducive to treating adrenal fatigue includes one that combines unrefined carbohydrates (whole grains) with protein and oils (nuts and seeds) at most meals — olive, fiber, flax and high-quality fish oil. It is also important for patients to eat regular meals, chew food well, and eat by 10 AM and again for lunch. Patients should look to avoid any hydrogenated fats, caffeine, chocolate, white carbohydrates, and junk foods. Diets should have a heavy emphasis on vegetables. It may be of additional benefit that patients add salt to their diet, especially upon rising and at least a half-hour before their lowest energy point of the day.

Some herbal remedies that have been noted as possible therapies include Licorice, Ashwagandha, Maca, Siberian Ginseng, Korean Ginseng. Note: Licorice can and, if taken over time, does have a propensity to elevate blood pressure. It should not be used in persons with a history of hypertension, renal failure, or who currently use digitalis preparations such as digoxin.

Your doctor can also prescribe some hormonal/steroidal treatments.

All the best.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/10/07

Hi Chris

All the best.

Reply to pharmacist