Question
Posted by: LISCA | 2011/09/02

Adoption Q

Hi.....my oldest son has been attending a private school for 3 yr now. His brother needs to be enrolled for next year. We received a form with 5 questions on that needs to be filled in and send back to the principal before our interview later this month. Both our sons has been adopted at birth, the school has not been informed regarding this as we feel we don''t want our sons to be labbeled and that this is private...they know that they''ve been adopted but none of their friends knows. The first 2 questions on this form with 5 questions on is: Have your child been adopted? Was any other sibling adopted! Any advice on handling this situation will be apresiated, because if we ask why this is significant they will assume they''ve been adopted....we can''t leave the space blank and we don''t want to lie!
Thanx

I find it deeply offensive that any school would be so irresponsibly nosy and thoughtless as to ask such a question. Maybe I'd mark it :"For discusion at interview", rather than "None of your business" as I'd ne tempted to say ! And I think a human rights organization should take action against the school if they refuse to interview you for not answering that question in the questionnaire, or reject a child for any such reason. They seem to have folie de grandeur, and an over-inflated view of the sort of matters they can or should deal with.
For a school to place these as the first 2 questions, implying that they are vitally important TO THE SCHOOL, is folly indeed.
Have you the option of phoning the school, to speak to someone seniot ( not merely a secretary ) to ask about the question and emphasize your concerns ?

3
Posted by: Romany | 2011/09/05

Just write " not applicable" or " not relevant" . It really has nothing to do with them.....

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Obvious | 2011/09/03

Do not discuss with the school until u have obtained legal advice as to the legality of an educational institution requesting this info.

Reply to Obvious