Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2011-02-15

Adoption

Hi CS

Not sure if you could assist or perhaps anyone else here.
I would like to adopt my brother and sister.
They are currently 12 &  15yrs.
My parents are both alive but neither works.
I provide most everything they need.
Besides providing I also do most things a mother would do.
They are my dependants on my medical aid too.

The problem is that if I should leave my job I would not be able to include them legally as my dependants and if I could adopt them it would just make things so much smoother.
I do everything for these kids and if anything should happen to my parents will be fully responsible for them, my parents are also rather old. I''m 25 and getting married in June so will be moving out of my parents home.
I would like to move them with me and made sure that the house we bought has 2 extra rooms for them.
My parents are fine with this and obviously they could visit my parents whenever they want.

Anyone that could tell me how to go about doing this?

Well, obviously there are legal issues about which you will need to consult a lawyer. If your parents are both alive, and the problem is that neither works, its not clear why you would be allowed to adopt your sibs. If you can afford to support them financially and want to do so, that doesn't require adoption. Similarly, if they come to live with you, with your parents consent. Your parents could, if you think there might be problems when they die, write a simple will nominating you as the person they want to take over care for the sibs.
I understand ( I think ) what you want, and don't see why adoption would be needed to achieve any of it. Maybe I'm overlooking something.

3
Posted by: Liza | 2011-02-15

ps. You could also call Social Services for help and information since the processes are facilitated by social workers.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Liza | 2011-02-15

First you can go to the family court and find out how to become their foster parent - this is easier than just jumping in and trying to adopt immediately. As foster kids, you can even apply for a government social grant - which isn''t much, but it could help out a little. Then when this process is done, you can start an adoption process. It''s much easier to adopt them if they''re already foster children because the court can gather actual evidence about how well you''re looking after them. When the adoption process is completed successfully, the social grants will fall away however. If you need more info, just ask. My older sister did this with our baby sister.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza