Question
Posted by: Mother | 2011-01-11

Adoption

My ex husband has no contact with our 7 year old daughter. He has not been paying maintenance for almost 2 years now. He dissapeared for 15 months and surfaced again on our daughter''s birthday last year. He agreed to give her up and I wnet to a lawyer to draw up the necessary documents. However, a advocate acquintance of my current husband told him that the child law changed and that a parent can not give up his/her child anymore. However, apparently he can give permisiion that she be adopted by my husband. But he also advised us taht we should not do this through a lawyer as it could costs us thousands and that we get in touch with an accredited social worker. Can you perhaps shed more light on how this works and where we get hold of an eccredited social worker? We live in Pretoria North.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

The best way would be to visit the Children's court division of the Magistrates Court in your area. The clerk of the court holds a list of Social Workers in your area. If your ex gave permission, I see no way why your current spouse will not be able to adopt the child through the process envisaged in the new Children's Act.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http://www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter/edivorce
Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys
Skype: divorceattorney

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2011-01-16

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http://www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter/edivorce
Skype: divorceattorney

Reply to family law expert