Question
Posted by: Jean | 2010/09/16

Adopted Husky

Have just adopted a 6 year old spayed Husky who was an outside dog before. She now has free run of the house as well as being able to go outside as we leave the door open. We have had her 6 days now and she was fine when we first got her - stretched out on the couch or the bed and was very placid. Last night she would not come into the house and wanted to sleep outside which was not a problem except that at 2.00a.m this morning she started howling and when I brought her into the house she was crying. Cant see anything wrong with her as she has an appetite. Do you think she is missing her previous owner after 6 days? We do have a Husky and a cross breed dog and they were not worried about this at all. So there are no issues there. Please can you advise

Hi Jean

Howling is a long range form of communication between other animals or owners. It is used to locate pack members, as a deterant to strangers e.t.c. it is also used in seperation anxiety.

In addition there maybe something in the external environment that has a similar wavelength/pitch thats similar to the howl and is attracting your dog's attention.

I would advise that you discuss this matter with a qualified behaviourist to determine the cause of the howling and how best to recify the problem

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010/09/16

This dog has just undergone a huge change, and is still settling down. In my opinion, one howl does not a problem make.

What I do notice though is that you say she ''would not come in'' - surely YOU decide where she is to sleep? In addition, you don''t say whether you told her to be quiet when she howled. If you simply got up and let her in, then the two together make me think she is going to end up pushing your buttons instead of the other way round.

Huskies are wonderful dogs, but they have a mind of their own, and if you want them to fit in with you, you have to assert your dominance. Failure to do this means you''re going to end up running your life according to their agenda. This doesn''t mean you have to bully them into submission - just quietly insist that they follow your demands.

Apart from making your life easier, it is in fact less stressful for the dog, not to have to ''make all the decisions'', but rather to be a pack member.

Good luck.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/09/16

Hi Jean

Reply to Cybervet