Question
Posted by: Mic | 2009/09/04

ADOPTED A STRAY BULLDOG

I adopted a Bulldog recently. I think he is 6 years +. So not a young dog at all. He is very skinny and I see that when he walks is seems that his hips/back legs are hurting. What can I give him te pick up weight quick and for the hips/back legs. Must just add that he is ADORABLE, can' t believe people will abandon such a loving dog:< )

Dear Mic

Start with Mobiflex and see if this helps, if not go to the vet to get anti-inflammatories that you can put her on daily.

6
Posted by: Annemarie | 2009/09/07

Good luck with your adopted dog. I also adopted a pedigreed dog, a boxer, in very bad nick, from the SPCA, years ago. We simply started her on a healthy diet from day one. She turned into the most delightful dog, and we loved her dearly. She died in her sleep, a contented old girl, many years later.

Reply to Annemarie
Posted by: Mic | 2009/09/07

Thank you guys, I will try the Mobiflex. To Big Dog Lover - I adopted him from FORA, he was there for more than 2 weeks and no one enquired about him. An if his owners enquire about him one day, I would love to know why he is in such a bad condition.

Reply to Mic
Posted by: Kate | 2009/09/07

Hi there if the dog is battling with his hips or leg it is best to keep his weight as low as possible.
My Lab puppy has hip dysplasia and I find the mobiflex works well for her.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Big Dog Lover | 2009/09/04

Are U sure he was abandoned? It is possible that he got out at his owners place + then walked until he was so tired then could not find his way back again. I' ve seen this happen with Bulldogs in the past. 2 of them came past our house one day when we were children. We also had a Bulldog at the time. As it turned out their gate was left open + they decided to go for a walk. They ended up at our house 11 km later + were so tired + thirsty they could not go further. They were both show dogs + fortunately were known to the lady where we got our one from.

Reply to Big Dog Lover
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/09/04

I cannot believe that anyone would abandon a bulldog, not that any pet should be abandoned, but we paid R6000 for our English Bulldog.

Please have you vet check out the bulldog, they tend to get arthritis.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/09/04