Question
Posted by: Liz | 2012/07/09

Adopted

We recently adopted a 3 year old chow shar pei mix from an animal shelter. She is so cute and playful but have obviously been abused before as she is careful around new comers and do not ever come close to men. We also have 3 cats and she keeps chasing them and scratching at the back door when they are close to it. As a result the cats are now terrified of her and bolt as soon as she is near. They don''t have a problem with our other shar pei who we had since he was a puppy. How can we make her more part of the family by getting her to trust the men in the family and leave the cats alone?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Liz, for a behaviour such as you describe above, I really think the best bet would be for you to get somebody in that does behaviour and TTouch. The little one is exhibiting pure fear behaviour and a combination of the two mentioned above would really help her. The person could also work with the cat situation and show you what to do as well. Unfortunately fear behaviour such as this is not one to discuss in a forum, it needs to be dealt with in-house. If you can get in touch with me at scotty@scottysdogs.co.za and let me know where you stay, I will put you in touch with sombody I trust. Thks S

3
Posted by: Aga | 2012/09/28

I have adopted a puppy with similar problems im March this year, she was severely abused and basically afraid anything we couldn’ t touch her and anything would scare her and make her bolt for the door, she still has moments when she isn’ t sure what to do around people, but i found that attention and patience was the best medicine, she is now a new dog she play with other dogs in the park and even started to bark at other people, plays with us,and has become a very loving dog. Also we have another dog much older which i think helped her learn some behaviour around us and others.
We didn’ t take her to any specialist as i couldn’ t really afford it.
I really wish people would adopt more instead of buying animals.

Reply to Aga
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/07/11

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert
Posted by: Baxo | 2012/07/09

Just throw her -|- in away

Reply to Baxo