Posted by: Liza | 2013-02-02

Admission for depression and ECT

I''ve just finished a course of ECT treatment during 2 weeks at a private psychiatric clinic. Went to the shops this morning - and started to totally freak out because everything looks like I''m looking at it for the first time even though I''d walked that route many times before. Then when I saw the full parking lot of different colored cars, I realized that it''s actually because the colors are all brighter. It''s like I was color-blind before and now I can see the colors all around me. I had a hard time trying to stop the tears, but they were all happy tears during the walk home. It''s been a very emotional time for me. Seeing my shrink on Monday again for a follow-up and been booked off for the next week.

Hopefully the memory problems improve before I go back to work. I''m slightly scattered at the moment. Can''t seem to remember where I put things. Just remembered that I''d switched the geyser off before being admitted (forgot all about it and was wondering the whole day why the water was cold - was about to blame the new geyser my landlord put in a couple of months ago.)

At least my cat seems happy that I''m home. My sister was looking after him and I was allowed out for the day last Sunday. I was shocked when I saw him - with the white membrane half covering his eyes and being lethargic. He refuses to drink water out of a container that''s being standing for more than 12 hours. I guess that I do spoil him by frequently letting him drink right from the tap twice a day, but my sister didn''t know this and he was extremely dehydrated. Luckily he recovered quickly after that. He does seem thrilled to be back home. Laid on my lap for at least 3 hours during today. I''m just as thrilled to be back home myself. I really missed my cat during my time at the clinic.

Also didn''t realize how depressed I''d become before the ECT. Especially because I now know what it feels like to feel almost normal again. Life would be almost perfect if it weren''t for the memory problems. Can remember Christmas, but only remember bits and pieces of January. Guess I''m jumping the gun a bit by expecting to recover the missing memories when my last treatment was early yesterday morning.

Thanks for such an interesting set of observations. And I'm sure the cat is delighted to have you home ( abnd relieved that you didn't switch her off, like the geyser ). Its typical of ECT that it for a time disturbs Short-term memory. - so you'd remember well that you had a cat, but might not remember what was the last pack of cat food you bought for him. Your cat's dehydration is understandable ( they're fussy and creatures of habit. Must be careful with mine not to give her too much dry food at one time, as she loves it, but after a couple of hours wont eat any more of whatever has been left in the bowl. I'm more puzzled why lately so many very rich celebrities get admitted to hospital and its said they're suffering from 'dehydration" - were they really too dumb to remember to drink water ? Ach, these Slebs ! Some of the minor missing memories one might not recover, where there was a temporary problem in the recording of them, but one usually isn't missing much ! I appreciate your description of the way the colour has been returning to life - an excellent illustration of the extent to which Depression removes some of its essence.