Question
Posted by: Nika | 2010/08/20

Adjustment/Change in salary scale

Dear Labour advisor

I work for a municipality and they are currently in the process of changing scales from whatever it was to government or so its said. I''ve recently found out that I am in the position where my scale has been downgraded and which means that NO salary notches will be implemented as I am already WAY over what the starting notch is. This is REALLY demoralising and as far as I am concerned. What is sad is that currently quite a few people are now on the same scale as a tractor/truck driver for ex. the salary clerk and even secretaries and when you look at the responsibilities of with the mentioned posts and measuring that of the truck driver IT DOES NOT EVEN COME CLOSE!!!!! I mean if I knew this Sh*t was going to happen I wouldn''t have left me previous employment. (sorry about that its just horrifying to me, to say the least) Obviously they cant downgrade my salary from what it is now but is there not something legal a person can do co''s this was not what was advertised a year ago when I applied for this job.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Yours
REALLY FRUSTRATED

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: ADJUSTMENT / CHANGE IN SALARY SCALE

You certainly do have a right to challenge the downgrading of your scale. It is suggested that you approach the Trade Union within the Municipality to act on your behalf in this issue as these disputes are lengthy and complicated. The Trade Unions are involved at the helm of the negotiation in issues of this nature.

2
Posted by: Nika | 2010/08/31

Thank you very much for your response.

Reply to Nika
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2010/08/30

RE: ADJUSTMENT / CHANGE IN SALARY SCALE

Reply to Labour Lawyer