Question
Posted by: Sam | 2008/08/21

Adhissions

Hi Doc. I have done 4 Laporoscopies this year due to cysts and ectopic pregnancy.Now I have only one tube and developed ovarian adhissions my tube is attached to the bowel and the womb my gyno says I did not heal properly.Should I go for a Laparotomy to detach everything to its own place,what are my chances of getting pregnant?

Dear Sam

Having pelvic adhesions will contribute to an increase risk towards having ectopic pregnancies and in addition will therefore decrease your chances of falling pregnant. The fact that you only have 1 fallopian tube left and have adhesions with the tube attached to bowel and your uterus means that the fallopian tube may not be functioning at it’s full capacity. It would be advisable for you to go ahead with the laparotomy and have an adhesiolysis to restore the anatomy. This would increase your chances of falling pregnant. If after the procedure your fallopian tube is still patent and there are much less adhesions and in addition the ovarian function is normal then you have a reasonable chance of falling pregnant.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo