Question
Posted by: Ant | 2010-02-11

ADHD in Adults

Where can I go to for diagnoses if I have a suspicion that I might have ADHD, I read on different sites on the internet and I have experienced many of the symptoms, but I they also say that you need to actually have it diagnosed as the symptoms might be because of other reason' s. One of the things I just read on this website said that children that have ADHD have difficulty sitting up straight &  I have been struggling to do that since I can remember. I have a 5 year old daughter &  I think she might be having a learning difficulty as well.

Remember, very few conditions have absolutely unique symptoms - some symptoms are common among well people, and are also shared by a n umber of different conditions. This is why a doc or shrink looks at the broad picture and the patern and combination of symptoms.
For yourself, you need to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment ; and once it is clear what your problem might be, and you have discussed the best way of dealing with it, your daughter can then be considered, too

2
Posted by: Woman | 2010-02-11

My husband has ADHD. See a good psychiatrist, they will be able to diagnose you. If you' re in the Cape Town area, I can suggest one for you. Other wise you can google ADHASA, they' ll be able to refer you.

If you are male, chances are that your daughter might have ADHD is one of those genes that is carried by men. Also boys are more likely than girls to have ADHD. Do yourself a favour and also google adult adhd forums. They have helped my husband immensely.

Congratulations on taking control in your life. It' s a huge step and you should be proud!!

Reply to Woman