Question
Posted by: Sue | 2012/02/24

ADHD Child with nehavioural issues - not coping!

Hi Doc,

My daughter is 11, was diagnosed with ADHD in Grd 1, has been on Straterra since. She is now in Grd 6, and she is always in trouble at school - for cheeking the teachers, not following instruction etc etc. Home life is pretty bad too, the temper tantrums that are like watching a force of nature unfold, with apoligies afterwards, but leave me feeling like a wreck.
I''m a single mom - no maintenance and no support structure to speak of. I would love to get my daughter into a specialised school that deals with kids like this, but I simply cant afford to, the same applies to sending her for therapy. I just dont know what to do anymore, everyday is another call from a teacher complaining about her, or an aftercare teacher complaining about her or an explosive episode at home.

I''ve tried my absolute best, but I am on the very edge now and dont know how much more of this I can take. I feel like an absolute failure of a parent, and dread each new day because of the new problems that are going to arise.
I pay for the Straterra myself each month (R705.00) as medical aid wont pay for it, but it doesnt seem to do anything, but I cant get back to her paed fo another 4 months (we go twice a year for ADHD assesments) - as he costs alot and I have to save between visits. He wanted to put her on Rittalin as well as the straterra the last time we went, and I just wont do that - it just seems like too many chemicals, and just felt wrong.

Please help - any advise welcome!!!!!!!

many thanks

I'm hoping the ADHD diagnosis was made, and the treatment is being supervised by, a child psychiatrist, and not a GP. A good child psychiatrist or child psychologist should be able to also intervene with the bad behaviours, and make a plan for you all to work on to improve that aspect of her troubles. This need not involve lengthy therapy, as a good child shrink should be able to outline a treatment program you can then follow youirself, without needing further sessions.
Also, a good child shrink should be able to intervene to motivate strongly with the medical aid to ensure that the diagnosis is recognized and that the necessary medication is covered by the medical aid. SImilarly, the paed should thus motivate for the medication he recommends to be paid for by the medical aid.
Her condition is not caused by any failure on your part, and blaming yourself is undeserved as well as unhelpful.
You may be a single mother, but surely there was a biological father who should be paying maintenance includiing help for the medical expenses - isit your local maintenance court for advice on how to ensure that this happens.

2

Posted by: Just Saying! | 2012/02/24

Hi Sue

I feel your pain, main stream schools dont have the facilities to deal with a adhd child.
You need to do your homework regarding lsob schools some is not so expensive and they have a waiting list as long as two years, to sooner you get your child assesed with a educational pshycologist, the better, please also remember that she is hiting puberty and it is sometimes small issues.

It seems the meds is not working my son used to be on stratera but the moods was to much, we changed to Concerta and he is flying now no problems, dont fight the medication, you need to have more structure with her, she needs to know that actions has Consequences , also please find out if she is not being bullied in some way kids can be cruel , but check out the medication if it is not wo rking then you are waisting your money anyway, phone your house doctor or the specialist they can change the prescription without seeing her and explaine the symptoms with him let the teacher fill in a document and send it him dont wait six months, remember it hard for a adhd child to go through a day when the meds is not doing it''s job,
A adhd child needs support and routine, you can not do this alone , it seems she is frustrated with school, maybe she is battling in some instance, remember a lsob school is not a special school and some goes up to grd 12 , they only difference they have more time to write a test or exam, they work in paces, not on a period like main stream. My son is in grd 3 and we can see the difference in him , he started in grd 1 and for some kids main stream is not the answer, those teacher are equipt to handle your child , what area do you live in? and do what is right for your daughter and dont worrie what other people think when it comes to meds and a lsob school, strongs

Reply to Just Saying!