Question
Posted by: Anri | 2011/12/13

adhd / bipolar / depression

Professor Simpson

Not sure if you will be able to remember me. I post a while ago, regarding the bipoler medication - Epitec - that i do not feel comfy to drink due to all te side effects. I decide at the end not to drink it.....yet. I want to know is there a way how i can learn to control my moods without taking anything. I also get the idea that doctors give medication to easily. Like it is the only alternative. What about self therapy? A way to control my moods. I gave myself 3 months to sort myself out, before i will start taking the pills. Any selfhelp books? Any advise?

My son is 10 yaer old and currently on Conserta 36 mg. I do not really see a major difference. Sometimes i wonder if he could be bipolar as well, because his change in moods as well. The one day he is the sweetest thing just to be horrible the next moment. I asked my shrink about this behaviour and he said that it is VERY difficult to diagnose a child with bipolar.

I feel like a terrible mother. Sometimes it feels that i do so much for my children 2 and 10 years old, but all i get is a " skop onder die bas" .

Thanks for all your advise. Enjoy your Christmas and all the best for 2011

There are 3 main signs of dementia. The first is loss of memory, and I forget the other two.
However, I think I do remember you, Ann.
Now for your specific question. I get boring to some at times, recommending a specific method of psychotherapy / counselling called CBT or Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy. But there is more good evidence of it being effective in a surprisingly wide range of situations, than for any other available method. And it aims, specifically, to help you learn to bring under control, bad habits of thought and behaviour that are inconvenient and unwanted.
This might help you learn to control some aspects of your moods and how they usually express themselves. But, depending on how expertly the diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder has been made ( sometimes this is done very well, and sometimes rather more shakily ) if there is a significant Bipolar Disorder it may beed mood stabilizing drugs to help you keep the mood swings under control, though Epitec is far from being the only one available - a number of others could be tried.
If you have doubts about the diagnosis and/or the proposed treatment, why not seek a second opinion from another shrink ?
As properly diagnosed Bipolar Disorder is a serious and difficult condition, I have never heard of it being brought under control by self-therapy. If indeed this is perhaps NOT full-blown bipolar disorder, but an unstable mood with awkward ways of behaving and feeling when the moods vary, maybe CBT ( which is a way of training you in expert self-therapy ) could suffice.
There is no expert agreement on whether bipolar disorder is reliably seen in children at all, and no agreed way to diagnose it if it did occur. Absolutely ordinary kids can show most annoying changes in mood and behaviour ! You're not a terrible mother, I'm sure - a terrible mother wouldn't notice anything or care about it if she did. Maybe, if you happened to see a psychologist for CBT, one of the things you could also discuss issues of child-raising psychology. Sometimes, if one does a bit too much for the kids, its not the most helpful way of teaching them to take responsibility for themselves.
Thanks for the good wishes for 2011 - I'm hoping 2012 will be a bit better than 2011 was !

1