Question
Posted by: VERY ANGRY | 2010/07/30

ADHD

Hi Prof. You mention you are an expert on ADHD. Here is my problem. Well its not with you but there is something confusing me. You suggested that the safety of long term Ritalin use is not known clearly okay. My psychiatrist and an ADD specialist I keep in contact with suggests there are no long term side effects to this drug and if my medication is not working properly its becuase I am not taking it correctly. I know you a smart guy so are these doctors stupid? If not where are they getting there information from?

Gosh, I don't remember claiming I was an expert in ADHD. If I did so, it'd suggest more that I HAVE ADHD rather than have expertise in it.
I think a bit more is known about long-term Ritalin use than that of newer alternative meds for ADHD, simply because it has been around for considerably longer.
Dotors who've been practising for some time often tend to base their opinions on their own experience rather than necessarily on research they've read. They may be right or wrong. With any medication if we are concerned with side-effects, the precise doses taken, at what times, before or after food, etc., can be very relevant

1