Question
Posted by: nico smuts | 2010/04/22

ADHD

My son has all the above mentioned symtons I have been advised to put him on ritalin
I do not feel comfortable about this were can I have him tested to make sure that this is the corect course of acction

Its not so much a matter of pencil-and-paper tests, as an assessment by an experienced clinical specialist ( best a child psychiatrist ) according to internationally recognized criteria, to make a reliable diagnosis. Then you can discuss the treatment options, and satisfy yourself as to what would be best.

4
Posted by: Woman | 2010/04/26

Hi ADHDude, my husband is on concerta and ritalin. He also goes to gym after work at least 4 times a week. The exercise, he says, is the key.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: ADHDude | 2010/04/25

Is your husband on Ritalin Woman?

Reply to ADHDude
Posted by: Woman | 2010/04/23

Hello Nico, My husband has adult ADHD and my daughter (8) has been diagnosed as ADHD too. Because we are quite knowledgeable about it, we accept the psychiatrists'' diagnosis. And we saw the signs for a long time. We are happy to put her on ritalin, because we know that it will improve her life (social skills, concentration, ability to make friends).

Make sure you take him to a pediatric psychiatrist that specializes in ADHD. They are quite pricey - the initial consult will be about R2000. BUT it is so worth while. Many kids are over diagnosed, so having a specialist look after your kid''s brain chemistry is priceless.

Interesting fact about ADHD is that it is a paternal gene. Google ADHASA, they will support you greatly.

Reply to Woman