Question
Posted by: Mel | 2008-12-17

Adenoids

I think my 26month old boy has a problem with his adenoids.
He snores at night and sometimes stops breathing for a few seconds while he sleeps. He also breathes very loudly in general and is quite nasal when he speaks.

He still wakes at night sometimes quite often and Im convinced it is because of these breathing problems, Some nights he snores more than others, but it is not a ' blocked'  or runny nose like a cold. He has been a noisy breather and nasal as long as I can remember.

He is allergic to cats (eczema) and has been on Isomil since birth as he has a slight cows milk allergy which makes him quite mucousy and blocked up but I dont generally give him cows milk (altho he sometimes has ice cream/cheese - i have cut this out and it makes no difference to his breathing/snoring). His eczema is gone now that we dont have a cat anymore. His father and grandfather both have allegies like hayfever and skin issues.

He has had 3 ear infections this year and 2 bouts of tonsilitis, Otherwise he is a healthy boy in all other ways. He weighs 13.5kg.

What I want to know is can I elect to have his adenoids taken out as I have been told it is an intrusive procedure and they do not take them out easily unless there is serious problem.

Thanks very much.

Dear Mel
I think you have reason to be concerned - please take him to an ENT specialist - they will be able to do full examination with a MR scan if needed and will operate only if it is indicated. The snoring and breathstopping episodes are not good for him as it deprives his brain of oxygen.