Posted by: Sophia | 2009-09-17

Additional insulin tests required?

Hi Dr Bets

I' ve recently been diagnosed with PCOS by a scan at the Gynae. She didn' t however recommend any additional blood tests related to my sugar levels (I was diagnosed Insulin resistant around 5 years ago). Do I need to ask for additional tests? And what tests should be done. I' m currently living in Germany so it' s a bit of a problem getting over the language barrier.

Lastly, as a result of my coming off the Pill and the PCOS I' m getting enormous inflammed pimples type things on my chin. No other issues, just one every now and again. They are really painful and unsightly and don' t respond to normal pimple treatment. Please can you give me advice for that too.

Thanks so much,

Hallo Sophia
You don't really need any other tests but you can do thyroid function tests and fasting blood glucose/insulin to monitor you insulin resistance. Spironolactone may be useful for the acne and you can use benzoyl peroxide on the spots