Posted by: Chris | 2009-09-21

Additional cardio exercises

I am using the 5 day combo, intermediate programme on this site and am coping well.I wish to increase the cardio.Can I run in the morning and do a spinning class in the evening as I want to start training for the cycling season as well.

Hi Chris

You can, but just be careful. Twice a day is can very easily overdo it and find yourself not adapting within the next two weeks. So you need to take care to not do too much. Maybe what you should do is a very short (20 minutes) run on TWO mornings a week and see how you go for two weeks. If you feel you're coping, add a third run of 20 minutes, and if you cope with that, then increase to 30 minutes, but only three times a week. By December, you will know if you are managing and then you can add a fourth day, or increase the distance.

But be careful as you add sessions - remember, what you are doing is cutting the recovery in half. So rather than having 23 hours to recover from one spinning session to the next, you're now only getting 11 hours, and that's very tough.