Question
Posted by: Emma | 2008/09/18

Addition

Thank you CS, for making time to catch up on all the outstanding posts. I promise this is my last question regarding my urbanol addition: is it really a good idea to go off of one sort of meds just to altimately go onto another kind of meds? Are ADs also addictive? When I first started on Urbanol (about 1990) the GP did not tell me that it was addictive and look where it has landed me!
Although I will admit that urbanol was very effective to begin with.

Ok all other questions will have to wait till I see the Doc in November. Thank you again.

Its often an excellent idea. Urbanol is one of a family of drugs that have been very well known to cause additction / dependency for decades now, well before 1990, and its recommended NOT to prescribe such meds long-term. Far more efefctive treatments for anxiety have been well-recognized since 1990 or before.
Yes, to go off one med which is not very effective ( the Urbanol family never cure anxiety, merely suppress it ) to change to alternative treatments which are more effective and less risky, makes loads of sense.
ADs are not addictive in the same way, though if one is on them at a proper dose for months ( one should stay on them for 6 months or more, routinely ) one would come off them gradually rather than abruptly.
Urbanol and its relatives all feel good ( rather too good, sometimes, hence the dependency risk ) at first, rather like the effects of strong alcohol.

1
Posted by: Emma | 2008/09/18

Sorry for the bad spelling each time I post. Not focusing, too many thoughts running around in my head! Also fuzzy head from Urbanol I guess.

Reply to Emma