Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2010/01/08

Addiction to Prescription tranquilizers(Alprazolam)Zopax-Alzam etc.

Having been through a disastrous formal rapid detox programme,which nearly killed me, for addiction to prescription tranquilizers(Benzos) 6mg per day supervised by a " highly Qualified" Psychiatrist who did not not listen when I said that weaning was advisable but he insisted on detox I now am back on Benzos and am looking to be reffered to a knowledgeable GP or Specialist who will assist in weaning me off this stuff.Weaning is ,in all the literature by far the recommended and most succesful method but so few Dr' s in this country know anything about it. I dont care how long it takes .I live in Cape Town( Northern Suburbs)and need a name.If in your response you can give me a method of contacting you I would geatly appreciate it .Urgent response required.

Sounds alarming. I don't know of a safe or recognized, approved "rapid detox" depending on the drugs concerned, they have their own natural rhythms to take into acount on withdrawal, and there's no safe or useful way of hurrying along the normal process. Going "cold turkey" with sudden withdrawal rather than weaning, isn't approved of by any expert I know of or have heard of.
I would think that your local branch of SANCA could advise about reputable detox / rehab programs or individual specialists near where you live, who use proper methods. Similarly, there should be someone in the dept of psychiatry at UCT or Stellenbosch who has a particular interest in such problems and could advise

9
Posted by: anon | 2013/09/09

I have a cousin who is using Zopax and taking more then I think he should!because its not normal to take about ten a day

Reply to anon
Posted by: Inciliboibelo | 2011/04/07

Reply to Inciliboibelo
Posted by: nirmErork | 2011/02/28

Reply to nirmErork
Posted by: Ruckpoergerek | 2011/02/26

Reply to Ruckpoergerek
Posted by: Ensumsmax | 2011/02/13

Reply to Ensumsmax
Posted by: Mayclen1954 | 2011/01/29

Reply to Mayclen1954
Posted by: Desperate | 2010/01/08

Thank for your rapid response and understanding.I ended up in hospital three times as a result of this botched nightmare.In 4 days I was shifted in 25% reductions per day from 120mg diazepam equivalent to 6mg diazepam.I was like a zombie.
Are you not perhaps able to give me a way of contacting you or of you putting me in touch with someone who can rapidly intervene.I have contacted a reputable drug rehab centre in Cape Town and although they suggested a longer detox,It was still detox and not weaning as described in the Ashton Protocols.
I am flabbergasted at the lack of medical knowledge in this field.
All they need do is read the Ashton Protocols.Help!!!

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: Desperate | 2010/01/08

Thank for your rapid response and understanding.I ended up in hospital three times as a result of this botched nightmare.

Reply to Desperate