Posted by: Worried | 2008-11-24

Addiction to presciption drugs

I the last few year I' ve realised for the first time that my wife has a strong dependency on various prescription drugs. This has been coming along for many years, since before we were married. She hid is from me. She used to get drugs (stopaine, lentogesic, tramahexal, valium, zaanor? etc.) from dubious pharmacists. At the moment she is on 14 tablets of lentogesic/tramahexal a day and she can' t shake it. She has realised that it is a problem. The meds are prescribed by a shrink. She is 38 years old and has a number of chronic considtions etc. SLE, DVT, Fibromaialgia, OCD, Depression, Anxiety etc. She also has a habit of gaining and losing weight.

I am worried how long she will live if she carries on like this. We have a small child.

Some of those drugs are so well known as having a significant potential for producing dependence, that any responsible doctor wshould be very cautious not only NOT to prescribe them for long-term use, buit also to caution patients about their risks. ANd one should never need several sedative drugs at the same time. No shrink worth his or her salt ought to prescribe such a mixture of inappropriate drugs. She should urgently see a different and competent shrink for re-assessment, a second opinion, and assistance in coming off all ofn these. If there is any underlying problem left when she is safely off them, then a proper expert programme for treating that would need to be devised.