Question
Posted by: worried | 2008/07/15

Addiction to Pethidine?

Hi. I was in a hospital in a small town for about a week for kidney stones. I was given 50mg Pethidene every 6 hours for 6 days, that makes it about 20 shots within a week. I heard that Pethidene is very addictive, so is it possible that I might experience withdrawal symptoms after about a day and a half? I really am quite afraid of this and don't know if I could trust my doctor if he says that I will not have withdrawal symptoms. Please help!

I've had kidney stones myself, and know they can be incredibly painful. Its unusual for the pain to last as long as a week without you either passing the stone or moving on for further treatment from a urologist to either destroy the stone with Lithotrypsy, or otherwise to remove it. I'm not clear about the time-line in your story. Pethidine can indeed produce addiction, but not inevitably, and not so much when one is using it for relief of genuine pain. I would never give it 6-hourly, if someone was in severe pain, as it generally lasts only around 4 hours at a time.
Withdrawal symptoms would be likely to show soon after stopping, if at all, and not to start a day and a half later. So if you haven't had any now, you're not likely to do so.