Question
Posted by: ROSE | 2012-08-30

addiction question

Dear doc
I just have a short question , if a person is addicted to alchohol , and that person believes he can stop by himself (and has in the past stopped completely ........just to start again)
My question is , if he stops drinking but does not seek profesional help for the addiction , can the " addication habit"  be placed on another object ?

Stopping drinking is terribly easy - even the worst alcoholic usually stops for at least a few minutes between drinks. it's STAYING STOPPED that is the challenge.
Some people do seem to be able to stop and stay stopped - on their own, but almost everyone does better with help and support and advice, from a suitable expert. Some people do much better with the aid of Alcoholics Anonymous, but I find some people just cannot accept the rather rigid model and process AA uses, and get so irritated by it that they do better without it.
Now, there isn't strictly speaking an "addiction habit", but it is true that some people have what has been called an addictive personality, and more easily and readily than most of us, go overboard on behaviours they enjoy - alcohol, street drugs, prescription drugs, gambling, anything that ca be done to excess. SO if they manage to stop one, they need to be careful not to start up with another form of dependence.

2
Posted by: Janet | 2012-09-17

. Your favorite jusacfiittion appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Reply to Janet