Posted by: Di | 2011-09-20

Addiction painkiller

Dear Dr,

My mother, 64years old, has depression and headaches problems as long as I can remember. The problem we have is the amount pills that she uses. If she dont like a docters diagnose, she will just go to the next one to ''get-what-she-wants''. My parents are retired and life in a small town with 2 GP''s supplying her, with of without a subscription, the following meds.
She believe that she has the ''Bechet''s discease'' and will never recover......(thats what one of her previous doctors told her).

This is the amout of pills that she recieve on a monthly basis from both GP''s in town. They run seperate practices.

stilpane 340 pills
doxyfene 100 pils
adco alzam 270 pills
fluanxol 60 pills
scopex 60 pills
cymgen 28 pills
purbloka 30 pills
Sandoz 30 pills
coxflam 60 pills
Tramel &  Sosenel 10 injections per month

Do you think this is enough reason to book her into a rehab clinic? If so, for how long? Do I use a clinic that address the painkiller, depression and anxiety matters?? or only painkillers??
I have been with her to a phyciatrist, and he wanted her to book into a clinic, but she refused to do so and never been back to that Dr. She just got her way with another one........
We will see the GP''s in the next 2 weeks to discuss the matter although I have contacted both GP''s and pharmacy 2years ago to warn them about the matter.............

I need your advise please.

Cape Town

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Yes any addictions clinic would be suite able for your loved one.