Question
Posted by: Dee | 2012/02/20

Addiction

My friend 31 old male is addicted to CAT. This is starting to influence his life now. He is married but his wife does not know about it even when he is on it. He is my best friend since school days but I dont know how to help him. He does not want his wife to find out so in essence cannot go to a rehab center. He uses it just about everyday even at work but there has been times when he did not use it for more than a week. Hes work is also now suspecting something.

What can we do?

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Dear Dee,

Addiction is a cunning and baffling disease which will sooner rather than later destroy every part of your friend's life.

If he cannot book into a Treatment Centre then I strongly suggest that he attends Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings in your area.

No amount of willpower on your friends part will be able to hep him stay clean, he needs the support of fellow recovering addicts to help him on journey of recovery.

i suggest he finds a coupe of meetings in his area. starts of by doing 90 meetings in 90 days. finds himsef a sponsor with at least a 1 year of sobriety and starts working the 12 steps.

If he is still unable to stay clean then I strongly suggest that he seeks help from a licensed treatment centre.

Best of luck,
Karen

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/07/07

Where can I get a list of such groups in SA.

Posted by: Jo | 2012/03/07

Im pretty sure his wife must know since he wont be sleeping or eating much.

let him tell his wife, perhaps they can do it together...
works for me

Reply to Jo
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2012/02/28

Dear Dee,

Best of luck,
Karen

Reply to Addictions expert