Question
Posted by: Karen | 2011/07/01

Addiction

I''m addicted to the internet!! I spend all day and then all evening online. I know that there''s all these things that I need / want to do, but I can never tear myself away! I keep about 5 or 6 tabs open and I just keep flicking between them, seeing if anything is happening...Facebook, email, blogger, my statcounter...
When I''m working, it''s the same, every five minutes I keep going back to my open pages. While the tv is on in the evenings, I have my laptop on my lap.

It''s taken over my life completely!! How can I control it better?? I just keep wanting to open my laptop and then it sucks me in for HOURS :(

Please could you suggest something for me?? Thanks!

It's not an addiction. Have you not recognized that while many other people with essentially empty lives post empty statements on Facebook, Twitter, and so on, none of this is of the slightest importance, ever ? If in some way you were to miss a week, or a month, or a year, of this content - what, actually, truly, would be different in your life ? It sounds as though your real life is not busy enough and fulfilling enough. Why not become more involved in genuine face-to-face friendships rather than the pretense of onlin-friendship, in more work, volunteer and charity work, which would keep you busier, be more useful and fulfilling, and remind you of real life rather than mere emptiness.
Do you live with someone who can help you control these bad habits ? Your work obviously doesn't much interest or occupy you, or you wouldn't have enough time for all the online frippery. And leave your laptop at work, so you can't waste time and bandwidth at night at home.
Sorry to seem so unsympathetic, but I find it hard to be deeply sympathetic with voluntary problems. Where the likelness to addiction is close, though, is that just as cigarette mabnufacturers deliberately designed their product so as to be addictive in a chemical sense, so the designers of Facebook and similar products have designed their system so as to maximally grip and occupy empty lives. I don't see that as a noble achievement, but as sheer profitable exploitation of human weaknesses, which we should not assist

7

Karen, can i perhaps join your social networking?

Thats nice...

Posted by: Karen | 2011/07/01

No Anon, he''s online too, or watching tv!!

Reply to Karen

Does not husband not have a problem with you been online in the evenings?

Posted by: Karen | 2011/07/01

Thanks Cybershrink...it''s true, my job is boring and I have a lot of free time. I live with my husband and family, but we don''t do a lot in the evenings so I''m online most of the time. I know I must try and occupy myself with other more important things...so I''m going to put on a load of washing!

Reply to Karen

Wow Karen i do the exact same as you. My boss even catches me at times. I come in early and leave late so i can be on the internet.