Question
Posted by: Shopaholic | 2012/06/24

Addicted to spending

Please advise if there are any support groups in Johannesburg or online forums I can join.

I have twice run up my credit card almost to its limit and just told my husband who understandably is very disappointed in me. Everytime I am depressed or stressed out comes the credit card and I come home with delicious woolies food items, or a new pair of shoes or some other kind of clothing etc. or buying stuff online.. I know each purchase just keeps adding up but I can''t seem to stop myself. I have now locked away the card and as soon as it is paid up in full I am destroying it and cancelling it.

I need to find a way to manage this addiction as obviously I cannot be trusted financially and I am so sorry for disappointing my husband who is my best friend and everything to me.

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Dear Shopaholic,

Compulsive behaviours such as shopping that lead to negative consequences are generally related to underlying issues that need to be dealt with before that behaviour will stop.

Have you ever considered booking into an out or in-patient program to address these issues?

Regards,
karen

5
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/07/03

Is your name Bronwyn?

Posted by: Diana | 2013/07/03

Well maybe the best way to go is to give up your credit card? There 's always a little itch to spend more if the money is available right now and normally you dont think at the moment that the credit funds are not yours and whatever you spend now - you will have to settle it by the certain date. In our family the credit card is locked out and kept for only when the emergency hits the fan. Try to do same thing, surrender your card to your husband if you dont trust yourself, do some push-ups or beat the stuff out of the punch-bag if you feel upset. What you really dont want is to get yourself into low water; financial troubles can cause the worst stress on earth and might just happen that this time you will not be able to spend a single cent on your consolation.

Reply to Diana
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/07/02

You don't have to wait for the card to be paid up to destroy it :) Get the scissors out right now and chop it up. I can't answer the Why but I can tell you that as long as that card is still exists in your mind it will keep calling you. Destroy it and be happy knowing that the bills you get every month cannot get any bigger. Other advice is good here but I'd also suggest participating in the monthly budgetting and work out the interest you will pay and how that money is you stealing from your retirement or whatever other debt you have or future plans you have. When you're 75 and living on 2-minute noodles & have no money for healthcare, those shoes or Woolies treats will come back to haunt you. Change your attitude to money, especially YOUR money. Stop donating to banks and shops and start donating to yourself and your future. Charity begins at home :) All the best!

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/07/02

Twice run up your credit card? You dont have a problem, most people do that every single month.

Posted by: Addictions expert | 2012/06/27

Dear Shopaholic,

Regards,
karen

Reply to Addictions expert