Question
Posted by: Rosy | 2009-01-21

Addicted to grandpa headache powders

Dear Cyber Doc

I am in the habit of having up to 5 grandpas a day, every day. I can' t seem to function in the morning without one and then every 4hrs i crave the boost they give me. They make me feel " less flat"  i guess and help me cope with my demanding job and kids. I know they are bad for my body and would like to stop. I am also on 20mg of fluoxetine for depression. I would like to know what could happen to my body if i continued this unhealthy addiction. Also, tips on how to stop would be welcome. Thanks

Dear Rosy
You can develop kidney failure from the chronic use of Grandpa's. It is the caffein in the Grandpa that gives you the lift and longterm it impairs your quality of sleep and worsens the tiredness and depression.Try to replace the Grandpa with Bioplus syrup 1 teaspoon instead of a Grandpa for a few days. Avoid Coffee ( unless decaffinated), Red Bull or any other energy drinks. Then gradually cut down on 1 teaspoon of the Bioplus per 4-5 days, until you can take one teaspoon in the mornings only - this you can continue if it helps you to feel more energized. (One should not take 10 ml Bioplus 3 times a day as indicated on the bottle for prolonged periods as it will affect your quality of sleep)
Have your iron levels and thyroid function tested too.
See http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003088.htm

15

every time I take grandpa powder, I do get severe lower back pain just can't know what's happening.

Hi I take 10 grand pas a day with coke I was told I had critical headaches and neck spams. I really want to stop by it is so hard now to stop I've been on this for almost 5 years now I used to take more than 10 sometimes it was 20 a day. I really need help please help me

I am recently taking 1 in two to three days, I am afraid in the near future I will also be taking 5 a day. It just happens that i crave Grandpa powder especially after drinking cold water. It really needs to stop.

I am addicted to Grampa powders. Even though my friend recently passed away at 30 years old from having to many Grampas, I still take them. Taking grampas caused her stomach ulcers and doctors could not fix her and her organs all starting shutting down. Grampas are a killer but I just can't stop. Its the habit I can't stop.

Posted by: sbongile | 2016-03-25

I take grandpa always then my vigina wil bleed 4 days .

Reply to sbongile

My periods seem to delay everytime i take grandpa powders few days before the date . does it have an effect really ?

Posted by: me too | 2015-01-10

I will take three or four mixed with phyrocaps. It gives me a boost in just under five second

Reply to me too
Posted by: G | 2014-09-25

i have seen people drink coffee and grandpa. i have seen people take redbull and grand pa, what effects do they have, short term and long term?

Reply to G

Hi, I have read all the comments and I seem to have the same bad addiction, I suffer from migraines, and 2 years ago I had a stroke. The head aches are terrible, that I cannot function at all, lets just say I take anything between 5-10 a day. I am on chronic cholesterol tablets aswell. What else can I take to stop my migraines please?

Posted by: HK | 2014-08-05

Thank you for these posts. I suppose I have also been addicted to Grandpa's for over 10 years now. At the moment I take approx. 3-4 a day. I agree with @Rosy, they give me a boost and definitely improve my mood. Particularly if I'm stressed. I do find that if I take them in quick succession I get a bad headache that I can't shake, and that they generally make me tired by the afternoon. Despite making major lifestyle changes a couple of years ago to improve the stress-triggers in my life, the headaches persisted. I shared this with my doctor about a year ago and he ran a battery of tests on me - all came back clear. I was then referred to a neurologist who did EEG and other tests but all fine. I have tension headaches. I'm obviously immune to the grandpa's, but addicted nonetheless, and ultimately they will catch up with me. Thank you for the suggestion to try bioplus. I will do that and let you know if it works. Many thanks. HK

Reply to HK

I now a man that uses 2 boxes of 38 granda poweders in less than 3 days. How long will he be able to carry on with this abbit?

Posted by: anonymous | 2014-02-28

My father used to take 2grandpa's everyday...he used it for about 2-3 years,last month he had passed away because of an ulsor,docters culdnt do anything for him because the grandpowders ate too deep...rather stop ur addiction,it can cost you your life

Reply to anonymous
Posted by: Why again? | 2009-02-17

Hi Doc,

Im at a crossroad at the moment. I am a recovering alcholic (clean three years) but I feel I am becoming addicted to Grandpa powders, some days up to 18 powders (some without water) and other days none at all. What steps do I take now!

I have had a long road with the recovery process BUT am I just fooling myself, and I just changed addictions? So I failed!!!

Any thoughts please

Reply to Why again? | 1 comment (hide)

It looks lyk u still trying to find comfort in another drug and you getting addicted.my husband is a recovering alcoholic n I ve noticed his taking too much grandpa and i juss wonder how he can stop.if you managed to solve your pronlem plz share