Posted by: concerned | 2009-06-26

Addicted to Codine

I have a friend that is addicted to Codine. He is currently taking approx. 40 Sinutabs a day. How can I get him to realise he is killing himself.

Expert ImageArchive

What sometimes works with an addict in denial is for their significant other to focus on another observation that is concerning... for example depression etc - and then see if the individual with the heroin/codeine/opiate problem is willing to go see a mental health professional for an evaluation - such as a psychiatrist, clinical psychologist or clinical social worker (the SANCA network can also help with this). Failing all else - the individual can be confronted with options (preferably from a mental health professional or significant other - perhaps with the help of ToughLove) - na, that either they decide what credible help they will seak - or that the family/sig. other is forced to commence statutory procedures (Act 20 or 1992 - Prevention and Treatment of Drug Dependency Act) - which is basically a court order (implemented by a social worker) - for state drug rehabilitation. I would say, first try the other routes, and if all else fails - consider the statutory route. Also concact a local/nearest SANCA branch to guide you - perhaps join a ToughLove group for your own support.