Question
Posted by: Addicted to addiction? | 2010/05/20

Addicted to addiction?

Hi.

I have an ''addictive personality''. Is there such a thing? It started early in my life as a child (8) when I started taking pills I drank my fathers wine when they went out. Anytime, day or night. I then started with heavier stuff like rum, whiskey, gin, vodka . . . (10). I graduated to dagga, then crack, heroin, lsd, xtc, cocain, etc. (16).

I haven''t had drugs for more than a year and don''t miss it. Never want to go there again. It''s just not worth it. I am married have a 6 yo. She''s my everything.

I still like to drink though. I will drink beer during the weekends but my husband hates it. He wants me to quit altogether. He did since we moved away from my parents. My dad is a keen drinker and we always drink a lot when we visit.

I don''t appreciate ''being me''. I feel better when I had a drink. I am a ''pleasant drunk'', I guess. I think. I never drink till I''m knackered, just a wee bit tipsy. I can''t haver alcohol in the house cause then I''ll drink it. Over time. Not till the bottle is empty.

Anyway, I honestly do not think I have a problem. Honestly. I think what bothers him most is that I snore more when I drank and yes, he needs his sleep.

Am I correct in thinking he is over-reacting? He had an aunt and uncle who took a lot of pills and alcohol and died as a result. This might be it? I know I should be moderate, but I don''t drink so much! Why is he so pissed when I have a beer or four during the w/e?

Expert ImageArchive

This whole issue sounds far too complicated. Just simplify it and stop drinking. You have a history of drug abuse, a six year old child and a husband who hates your drinking.

It doesn't bode well. Tipsy in front of your child is not good enough. It is a vile example. Stop drinking, keep it simple. You are busy minimising.

Just stop. If you can't, then you know what to do. Let me know how you're doing.

herman@harmonyclinic.co.za

1
Posted by: Addictions Expert Forum | 2010/05/20

herman@harmonyclinic.co.za

Reply to Addictions Expert Forum