Question
Posted by: Dyllon | 2009-06-26

Addicted to Addiction

My problem is that I have an addictive personality and when I do something, I do it properly! Ha ha! When I drink, I tend to binge and when I smoke (dagga) I must smoke everyday, all day until the bankie is finished! All I want is to drink and smoke socially.

I love going to the pub and meeting strange/interesting people while watching the sport of the night and enjoy a beer (or 2)…  but then occasionally I have too much fun and binge!

I also love to smoke weed…  Just to chill out relaxing at home after a hard days work, light up a joint with my friends and talk rubbish, let my overactive mind wander and question everything in existence. It is this colourful and creative experience that helps me be innovative in my day job as a programmer!

I do agree that weed is not good for the short term memory (but like so many other things in life) only if abused! … And I tend to abuse it! I smoke until it is finished –  not in one night but everyday until done. If it is in my possession I will finish it! This is what I need help with…  it’ s not that I’ m addicted to weed  it’ s that I’ m addicted to addiction!

I don’ t smoke weed that often but when I do I go overboard. I’ ll smoke for 2 months then once I feel my brain slipping away I’ ll stop for a year or so till my memory and wit comes back. But then the cycle continues… 

My addiction is like opening a box of chocolates and not finishing it but rather saving it for another time. I can’ t do that, I must finish it. It goes without saying that if I’ m full or sick from the chocolate I will stop, but once I am better or hungry again I will tuck right back in. and if I do not have any chocolate I do not crave, out of sight out of mind! This is starting to sound like OCD… 

Also I' m now trying to stop smoking cigarettes, I' m past the physically craving stage but now the psychological addiction is tempting me…  HELP!!!!!

Expert ImageArchive

I really think that it would be beneficial for you to seek the assessment of a psychiatrist - as a so-called 'addictive personality' is in actual fact often the symptom of a psychiatric/psychological condition - such as bipolar disorder, obsessive-complusive disorder etc. In other words, your subtance use is likely to be a symptom of an underlying problem and a mental health professional such as a psychiatrist can really assist you to get to the root cause and to get the appropriate treatment. There are private psychiatrists (which most medical aids cover) and state out-patient psychiatrists are available through Mental Health (which is a national organisation).

2
Posted by: MDK | 2009-06-28

Dear Dylan

Life is like a box of chocolates. Best opened and sampled one at a time. (Not finished in one go!)

Your problem lies in self control. You can control yourself sometimes, but not others. The reason you " lose"  self control is " YOU CHOOSE TO LOSE"  it. Once you " get this"  not finishing the bankie or the bottle of whiskey should be easier. When you meet a beautiful woman in a bar do you rape her then and there? No... You take her home and do you rape her there? No... Because you " choose not to lose it" . If you choose to lose it you must not have regrets afterward. Drugs (especially alcohol) are good in that way, as your over-indulgence is usually punished by a hangover or an equivalent " penalty" 

Of your problems the smoking is most likely going to be the hardest to deal with. That you mention this last is a concern. The problem with " social drinking"  is that it tends to lead to a cigarette in the free hand, so your task is going to be doubly difficult.

The only person who can help you is you and the only person who can stop you from drinking too much or smoking is you. Open a beer and leave it for an hour. At the end of the hour it won' t have drunk itself... ps flat beer is overrated

Reply to MDK
Posted by: J obviously | 2009-06-27

Reading your post I cannot help but think " This is soo me!" 

Expert some advice for us please :o ) ( o:

Reply to J obviously