Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010-08-09

added to 1027 HPV vaccine etc before first time

My boyfriend and I are both virgins. I am currently on the pill. We are talking about having sex, becuase we have been in a relationship a while and have been enjoying oral sex. He is the only person I have given to or recieved oral sex from. He however has had ONE other woman give him a blow job.
We realise it was rather foolish to progress this far without tests, but are now going to get STD/HIV testing done.
The question is this: How important is the HPV vaccine? How expensive is it? Where can one get it done? Specifically the Sandton/Sunninghill/Fourways area in Joburg? Am I correct in that one cannot actually get tested for HPV, but only cervical cancer with a Pap test?
What can and STD/HIV test pick up? Are there vaccines for other STDs?
What are the risks with the HPV vaccine in South Africa?
Thanx Jane

The HPV vaccine prevents you from getting HPV which is implicated in cervical cancer. YOur GP should be able to give it to you. Check the price with him/her. It used to be about R600 a shot and you need 3. However, there are constant negotiations to bring down the price. HPV can be detected on pap smear. There are a number of STDs including gonorrhoea, syphilis, chlamydia. There aren't vaccines for this. The best way to prevent STDs is to stay in a monogamous relationship and practice safe sex.

2
Posted by: anon | 2010-08-11

Jane you should only speak for yourself in terms of being virgings. the fact that he had a blow job with someone says something(He probably did the full did and told you what you wanted to hear)

Reply to anon
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-08-11