Question
Posted by: SK | 2010/03/03

ADD/ADHD

Hi, I suspect that our 12 year old has ADD/ADHD where and how do i start getting him tested? We are not keen on the medication but if it will help him that will be great. Maybe you can refer us to a good dr in Johannesburg.

Hallo SK
Let him be evaluated by an occupational therapist as well as a pediatric neurologist. Occupational therapist details you can find in the yellow pages and they normally know the best doctors to treat ADD in their areas!
dr Bets

4
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010/03/04

Have you asked your child if he is bored at school? Boredom and AD(H)D tend to be expressed in a quite similar manner by children. It is useful to eliminate this possibility first before embarking on such expensive tests and medication.

I speak from experience. I was very far ahead of my fellow pupils and was constantly bored with school work and always struggled to pay attention. Since I went to university and got a challenging job, I''ve been perfectly " normal" .

I''m not saying your child is the same, I''m just saying that it is a possibility worth considering. It won''t cost you a cent but might save you thousands if you are lucky.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: SK | 2010/03/03

Thank you Sue, i will definately get in contact with the Dr it might just be what he needs.

Reply to SK
Posted by: sue | 2010/03/03

Your first step is to go to a child psychologist or paediatrician who specialises in ADD/ADHD. They will run a fairly lengthy test (Involves answering of questions and checking out the childs behaviour). They will then prescribe the right medication.
Dr Strachan at Bedford gardens Hospital in Bedfordview is excellent. He always makes 100% sure of his diagnosis, and starts the child off on the lowest dosage at first. He diagnosed my daughter in 2007, and she has flourished. No side effects from the meds, and doing well in school and at home.

Reply to sue
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/03/03

Hallo SK
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc