Question
Posted by: Gaye | 2009-09-04

ADD/ADHD

My daughter, just 6 in Grade 0 has a concentration problem and is emotionally immature - been advised to stay back to repeat Gr 0. I have explored all avenues, educational psychologist, neurologist to rule out epilepsy, Occupational therapist and now a developmental Paediatrician. Not all agree that she is ADD, however the Paed has said she is and wants us to start a 2 week trial period on ritalin. I am worried about the long term effects on a child this age and won' t she just outgrow the concentration problems with maturity or is it wise to try the ritalin and see if there is a marked improvement, perhaps she can even go on to Grade 1? I am so confused and needing guidance. many thanks

This must be very frustrating, trying all the supposed experts, and getting apparently no agreed and convincing advice so far. I am weary of Occupational Therapists advising on whether someone has ADHD --- they are not trained or qualified to make any diagnosis at all. Why not consider trying the advice of the paediatrician and trying the medication to see if it has any useful effects ? This need not mean a very long-term committment to remaining on medication, but a wise trial of a medication for which there is a lot of good evidence of likely benefit.
I'm not familiar with Melotone, but if it tastes fishy, it could be one of several remedies with oil bases which some do find useful--- I found some encouraging evidence with regard to HiQ in this sort of situation

2
Posted by: BMJ | 2009-09-04

Gaye, I faced the same situation as this 2 years ago. We decided to give Ritalin a try and it worked like a miracle for our son. But because he lost so much of Gr0 due to a lack of concentration, we repeated gr0 and he only went to gr 1 this year. He has done very well. He is still on Ritalin. He would not drink the Melatone as it has a decidedly fishy taste - although it is good.

Ultemately, if she is not behind, you have nothing to loose trying the Ritalin and seeing if there is an improvment this term. It has been used without any documented proof of harm for 50 years now. Dont believe everything you read on the net about ritalin.

Reply to BMJ
Posted by: C | 2009-09-04

I know that CS won' t necessarily agree as we had this topic before. My son is on Melotone (a product from Sportron) which is a supplement that helps with concentration in particular. He is also in Grade 0 and will be progressing to Grade 1 at the end of the year. According to teacher, his concentration improved a great deal. Ritalin was not an option for us.

Reply to C