Posted by: Celesti | 2009-03-30

ADD in children

My 6 year old boy who is in Gr. 1 has been tested by an occupational therapist and it came about that he is above avarge intelligent for his age but with possible ADD. He was referred to a neurologist that did an EEG and there were NO irregularities in his brainwaves. He prescibed Strattera and it had an opposite effect on my child and made him very hyperactive. The neurologist now prescribed Ritalin (the short period release dosis) for when he is in the classroom only. I have read many articles about ADD and ADHD as well as all the medication prescribed and I am not sure that Ritalin is the correct medication as to my knowledge this medication is only for children who have irregularities in their brainwaves. Is this the case or not? I have not used the medication as yet because of the school holidays that started on Friday. Please advise your opinion. Thanks.

I don't consider occupational therapists properly qualified to do IQ testing or to make any diagnosis, of ADD or anything else. NOR is OT an appropriate treatment for ADD. Ritalin is far better for a child with ADD than OT. It is absolutely and definitively NOT only for children with abnormalities in their EEG. It would be worthwhile trying the effect of Ritalin for a fair period, and see whether it helps him. None of the articules you may have written on the web ( many by people with their own axe to grind ) i about your child.

Posted by: Silvy | 2009-04-06

my son is turning 4 in July, he is a very busy child, always seeking attention and bright for his age, he knows the months of the year, can count numbers to 20, but has problems in listening to the day care teacher, he gets very pushy and aggressive sometimes and stubborn, do i need to worry about this behaviour or will he outgrow this? he also has mood swings

Reply to Silvy