Question
Posted by: Ollie | 2011/04/19

ADD in adults

I strongly suspect that I am suffering from adult ADD. However, I have mistaken it for depression, and asked my GP for anti-depressants. I am currently on Lexamil, and hating it! It is making me dizzy, unhappy and I am totally unable to concentrate, which is making my job hell. What treatment is available for this condition?

A GP should NEVER provide any drug a patient requests. They should take that simply as an indication of the type of thing that is troubling, you, and conduct a competent assessment on their own, decide on proper grounds what the diagnosis is, and how best to treat that. If you are not truly depressed ( or don't have one of the few other conditions where antidepressants can help ) they the drug would be useless and you'd only have side-effects and no benefits.
There's no point in discussing possible treatments until we have a good sound diagnosis. I strongly recommend that you see a good local psychiatrist for a proper specialist assessment, and then discuss treatment ioptions based on that.

1