Question
Posted by: Debi du Plessis | 2011-02-14

ADD Diet

Please could I get a diet for a 8 year old with ADD

Dear Debi
Research indicates that diets that are free of all preservatives, colourants and flavourants benefit children with ADD or ADHD. In addition it is a good idea to increase the intake of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in the diet of children with ADD. Salmon oil capsules are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. I do not have a copy of an ADD diet, so I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you with the additive-free diet, but still ensure that your child gets all the nutrients he/she needs for normal growth and development. To read more about diet and ADHD or ADD, click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and then do a Search for the articles I wrote last year on "DO WE NEED A BAN ON CERTAIN FOOD ADDITIVES?" and "DIET FOR A HEALTHY NERVOUS SYSTEM- DIET & ADHD". If you want to give your child a diet that is free of preservatives, colourants and flavourants then you would need to use only unprocessed foods, e.g. fruit, vegetables, meat, fish and eggs prepared at home, home baked bread and home prepared legumes and plain starches like pasta, maize grits, crushed wheat and unsifted maize meal, plus pure oils like olive oil. With the publication of the new SA Food Labelling Regulations in 2010, it should at least become easier to identify foods and beverages which contain preservatives, colourants and other additives that may trigger susceptible youngsters.

2
Posted by: Hette-Mari Palmer | 2011-02-14

My child is 7years old,he''s not a good eater.Does not like meat and gravy on his rice.Has ADHD.

Reply to Hette-Mari Palmer
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-02-14

Dear Debi